Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

creak from rear and noise from B pillar

Just found the cause of a creak from the rear over bumps. Its the polystyrene moulding which holds the tyre pump etc in the boot squeaking against the boot floor.
    I will add some sticky back foam which should alleviate the problem.

Also an intermittent rattle/click which comes from the B pillar comes from the door contact switch which is under a rubber boot about half way up the post. Not sure how to stop that without removing the screw and adding some grease which I think would invalidate the warranty on the part?

Thanks for the tip about the creak from the boot, I have been wondering what it was. Glad it should be easily solved.

Got a new and very annoying rubbery creak/squeak from the rear over bumps. Seems worse when weather cold. Sounds like a trim, but I have eliminated the rear seats, parcel shelf and boot contents. Any ideas gratefully received.

I have the same noise. I thought the polystyrene too so removed and went a drive. Still there. Much louder on cold weather. Really annoying!

I may be onto the source of the noise. I think it may be the 4 rubber buffers which are fitted to the tailgate and press against the aperture when the gate is closed. I tried moistening them this morning and the noise had gone. I cant be sure yet as the noise did come and go. I have coated the buffers with a smear of washing up liquid to test in the morning. I will let you know if this was successful.

Success, The noise has gone. My cure was to put about a spoonful of washing up liquid on a kitchen towel and let it soak in a little. I then rubbed each of the four buffers on the contact face and sides to apply a thin film.
    I tested this morning and there has been no squeaking since. It is now restored to one of the quietist cars I have driven. I have had 3 cylinder Polos and Seats in the past but this engine is the quietist.

Really something so simple?! I will get onto that in the morning! Cheers 👍🏼

well its back again. The noise has returned and I am now at al loss. It is very annoying. I have tried cleaning the tailgate rubber seal, rapping the rubber buffers with ptfe tape, removing the parcel shelf, removing the boot inlay moulding which contains the pump and tyre repair kit, even driving with the back seats folded down and its still there. Problem is its intermittent, one day silence, the next its there all the time. If anyone has anymore ideas they would be gratefully received.

17/03/2016. a few days later and I have tried something new which appears to be working although I need to try for a few more days to be sure.
    I have removed the ptfe tape from the tailgate lid and wrapped it around the rear door contact switch rubber boots. This has stopped the noise. I will let you know if this is the cure.
    Last edited by warrantychap; 03-17-2016 at 11:05 AM.

didn't cure it, noise was same until dry weather came then noise gone. It rained today and noise came back. Passenger says it comes from under car at rear, can only assume it to be a rubber bush or similar that squeaks when wet.

Think I may have found it.. Under the car at both sides, the handbrake cable runs through metal mounting tubes. Two of these tubes have rubber bushes. I think that when these bushes get wet they rub against the plastic outer casing of the brake cable. I have sprayed the rubber bushes with a WD type oil and the noise has gone. As the noise is intermitant I will monitor the situation and let you know if it returns.
    Another noise I have picked up is from the heater blower motor behind the glove box. This makes a high pitched ticking noise as the motor spins.
    Well now that the cold damp weather is back so is the squeak/creak. I asked the garage to look at it when it went in for its first service but they couldn't hear it.
    I think I must admit defeat and just live with it. Its the only real complaint I have about the car.
    Last edited by warrantychap; 12-30-2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: noise is back